Category: Thirty Day Thursday
|April 28, 2011||Posted by Sweet Tooth Runner under Thirty Day Thursday|
HEY friends!! Alllmost Friday!! And for us Brits, we get a four day weekend thanks to the Royal Wedding so tomorrow IS the weekend for me, yipee!!
NEXT Thursday FYI I’ll be posting The Bagel Post. That’ll replace ‘My views on drugs and alcohol’, because to me that’s irrelevant because I don’t drink or take drugs, and don’t plan to haha!
Day 6- 30 interesting facts about myself
30?! Okay, I’m REALLY not that interesting, so I’ll give you 10 Random Things instead…
10 Random Things
And that first photo was me at a birthday party that wasn’t even fancy dress. That’s how much I love it!
She looks like this, and is marrying him. Is anyone NOT slightly envious?!
Which is why I always ice with frozen broccoli or spinach instead of the frozen oven chips that my dad loves so much. Can you see all that broccoli goodness just seeping into my shin?! I’ve tried to explain this to the PT but he doesn’t seem to quite understand. His loss.
Who’s that weirdo in the background…?
5. I get food cravings like crazy. Anything can set me off, from a smell to someone mentioning a food, and then I will obsess about it until I have it. Anyway, a few weeks ago, Hollie mentioned bread pudding, and that did it. I WANTED BREAD PUDDING. I used to have Bread-and-Butter pudding all the time as a kiddo, but haven’t had it in AGES, specially not since becoming vegan! Anywho, I present to you…
Vegan Single Serving Bread-and-Butter Pudding
- 1 slice bread (I used wholemeal)
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (more or less depending on taste, up to you)
- Optional, but I used them: 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, raisins
- Grease a microwave-safe bowl/ramekin/mug and set aside.
- Tear up your bread into small pieces, and place in mug, layering the raisins in-between if using.
- Mix together all other ingredients and pour over bread.
- Press down, then microwave for about 2 1/2 mins, depending on your microwave.
- Leave to stand for a few minutes, then turn out onto a plate and ENJOY!!
No kidding, this was so good I wen back and made another. And seeing as it takes less than 5 mins to make, it was all good!
Okay, so that was only 7 things, but it’s late now and making 10 things would make this post even longer than it already is, and quite frankly I need to let The Crazy out in small-ish amounts or I will be taken away to be with people who are ‘like me’ mentally.
ONE random thing about you? Come on people, tell me something random pleeease?!
What is one of your childhood desserts or meals? Dessert=Bread and butter pudding. Meal= Triple Decker Pizza Sandwiches. I’m not kidding. 3 mini pizzas make the perfect sandwich filling dontcha know?!
What are you looking forward to tomorrow? Are you going to watch the wedding? I’m looking forward to doing my first speedwork run since my injury!! Yaaaay!! And I might watch it…we’ll see
Have a GREAT day lovely people!! Love you guys SO MUCH!!
|April 21, 2011||Posted by Sweet Tooth Runner under Thirty Day Thursday|
Hellooo lovelies!! Loved hearing yesterday where you guys are going this summer- you DID make me jealous!!
Day 12- Bullet your whole day
Oh, and I’m on Easter break at the mo- this isn’t a ‘typical’ Thursday!
Katie’s Banana Bread in a Bowl, but the apple-cinnamon-raisin version. Yes, I’m still on that kick. Instead of banana, I used 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, a few ice cubes, 1/4 cup raisins blended in, and lots of cinnamon. DEEELISH!
- Minor Morning Disaster. Got ready to go take Buddy to the local nature park, because it was HOT and SUNNY in London today!! A first!! Since the sun had come out, I decided to break out the running sunglasses I got free at the VLM expo on Saturday. But when I say ‘break out’, I mean it…
I am SO excited to hopefully run here on Saturday!! It’s pretty hilly, but its SO gorgeous (I usually pound pavements in comparison!), and will be worth the journey and inclines!! Buddy enjoyed the sun too:
Also saw lots of Easter Egg Hunt signs; apparently there’s one on Saturday. I WILL be there and I WILL push past all the kids to find all that chocolatey goodness first. Watch out children, the Sweet Tooth Runner’s out…
- LUNCH time! Let’s just pretend I DIDN’T have a PB+apple+cinnamon sandwich with raisins on the side…
- (No)Baking time! Variety is the spice of life, which is why I then made No-Bake Apple Cinnamon Raisin energy bars…
This recipe for Homemade Clif Bars with 1/4 cup applesauce, raisins, and more cinnamon. SO QUICK and yummy!
I hit the tread, but after 2 miles I felt a few twinges in my shin, so I stopped straight away. Not worth risking it y’know? Specially since I’m starting my training plan next week, and want to be 100% okay for that
Count your blessings that that is a blurry photo and you can’t quite see how scary that face is. Endorphins make me crazy.
Found a can of this protein powder in the reduced section of a health store yesterday (£5?!), and I LOVE it!! Spriru-tein tropical:
Protein Tropical Smoothie:
- 1/2 scoop tropical protein powder
- A couple of slices of pineapple
- 1/2 cup soy yoghurt
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- Ice cubes+xanthan gum to thicken
- 1 tbsp coconut butter (optional)
- Dinner time! Dinner was leftovers, because I am super lazy and making something just wasn’t an option.
The Run for Japan scheme, which I posted about here, is a worldwide initiative to get people to donate through their running mileage. I thought that by hopefully blogging about it, that even if just one person out of the few thousand read it and did it, then that would make a difference. But to know that a number of people did is just AWESOME!! Today alone, I got THREE, yes three emails from readers saying they’d donated their mileage, not to mention other comments and emails I’ve had before. Between the readers I’ve heard from, they’ve raised over £500 for Japan!! How amazing is that?! It made me SO happy!
What are some things you’ve done today?
Cardio or weights? I think weights IS cardio!! It definitely gets your heart rate up if you lift heavy anyway, and I’m really starting to enjoy it! But running has my heart, so cardio
Do you use protein powders? Do you have a fave one? My favourite is Sun Warrior but it is SO expensive, so until I win the lottery I’ll be using whatever cheaper alternatives I can! Spiru-tein seems pretty awesome anyway to be honest, so I’m not complaining!
Love you guys, have a great day!!
|March 17, 2011||Posted by Sweet Tooth Runner under Discussions, Thirty Day Thursday, Topic Posts|
Your responses to yesterday’s post were HILARIOUS!! You guys make me crack up SO much!!
Anyway, today is 30 DAY THURSDAY. And as promised yesterday, it’s a serious post today!! So if you want some laughs, come to my gym and watch the senior’s line dancing class. Some of them wear cowboy hats and spurs. Funniest thing EVER.
Day 27- A problem I’ve had
This problem is one that I’m sure almost all of you can relate to. The Comparison Trap.
We’ve all been here. For example, you finish a successful run at a great pace and distance (for you) and are elated! Then you read blogger’s posts, and the comparisons begin…
“(They) ran twice the distance in half the time, and that was their recovery run!” “(They) did x number of exercise classes in a day!! I only do one!”
The same with food.
“I had four squares of chocolate, but (she) only has one.” “She has (x amount) of oats, but I have double that!”
The potential comparisons are never-ending.
I was inspired to write this post after receiving a number of emails and comments recently that reminded me of this. An example of this is an AMAZING runner who left a comment saying that she ran 6 miles but it was ‘rubbish’ compared to mine that day because it was slower.
So WHAT?! It isn’t about how fast you run in comparison to me, or in comparison to anyone else. It’s all about YOU. I improved my speed in the last few months from an average 9 min/mile pace a few months ago to an average 7-8min/mile pace, but that is still WAY slower than many other runners and bloggers. Does that make me any less of a runner? NO, of course it doesn’t!! Running isn’t all about the numbers anyway. Neither speed nor distance ‘make’ a runner. Passion does.
The same goes for food. What one person eats and can manage is totally different to another. It is important to remember as well that no bloggers (certainly not any I’ve ever read anyway!) post EVERYTHING they eat. I definitely got confused about that when I first started blog reading, and got very self-conscious about the fact that I ate so much more than other people seemed to!!
The bottom line is that we are all different. We all have totally different bodies, and so our needs and what we can manage personally is totally different to everyone else. Comparing yourself with other people, especially based on the things you see in blog posts where you can’t see the whole picture, is pointless and self-destructive.
I have definitely had this problem in a big way in the past. I felt like I wasn’t good enough, and that I was insignificant compared to everyone else. Although I admit to still occasionally feeling the odd negative comparative twinge when reading other’s posts, I tend to be much more positive in my outlook now. Instead, when it comes to running, I feel more inspired and impressed instead of feeling inadequate, and in terms of food, I just remind myself of our individual needs and preferences.
So what are your thoughts on this topic? Share pretty please!!
Have you ever fallen into ‘The Comparison Trap’? What things do you compare? Running, exercise, food, lifestyle, etc.? I think that everyone does it sometimes, even sub-consciously! I especially did it as far as food and running were concerned, although appearances too were another thing…
Random question: What was your Thursday workout? A 30 min easy recovery run, 20 mins elliptical and BodyPump, which kicked my butt. Again.
FRIDAY tomorrow people!! Stay tuned for my Friday Faves!
P.S. Giveaway winners, I’ll get back to you soon!! Just waiting for a few more addresses from runner’s up, then your goodies’ll be on their way, k?
P.P.S. Remember that you are all AMAZING people and SUCH inspirations to me!! If you EVER need anything, or just want to chat, feel free to email me anytime!!
|March 10, 2011||Posted by Sweet Tooth Runner under Thirty Day Thursday|
THIRTY DAY THURSDAY! Just so ya know, I don’t post these in order- just what I feel like that day! Hmm, what do I feel like today…?
Day 18- My Beliefs
I believe that every day should start with a Killer Breakfast. The official definition of a Killer Breakfast: nutritious, yet so darn tasty you want to marry it.
Oatmeal cooked with chia seeds, topped with melted almond butter and cherry jam. So good…I believe that nothing beats the PB+J combo!
Healthy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies (adapted from Vegan With A Vengeance)
These are healthier than your average PB cookie, with no added sugar or oil, and the goodness of spelt flour, oats and peanut butter. Not to mention they are chewy, soft and delicious…oh, and the dough is to-die-for!!
(Makes 16, depending on size, and how much dough you eat in the process)
- 225g/8oz spelt flour
- 175g/6oz rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 175g/6oz peanut butter (I used Meridian’s all-natural smooth)
- 174ml/6 fl oz unsweetened applesauce (I just whizzed 2 small cored+sliced apples+ 4 tbsp water in a food processor for this)
- 125ml/4 fl oz maple syrup (or agave, etc.)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Grease or line 2 baking trays.
- Mix together dry ingredients (flour, oats, baking powder+salt). In a seperate bowl, mix together everything else.
- Add the dry to the wet and mix. The dough will be firm and moist. Roll into whatever size balls you want, and flatten them. Bake for 12-15mins until the cookies have puffed a bit and are lightly browned. Leave on the tray for 10 mins before moving to a cooling rack. Then ENJOY!!
Suggestions: Use other nut butters (Dark Chocolate Dreams would be amazing!!), crunchy PB or add chocolate chips/raisins/cacao nibs.
I am thinking a Triple Chocolate one next time…made with cocoa powder, Dark Chocolate Dreams and cacao nibs/chocolate chips. Drooling at the thought…
I did a mixture of steady state, speed intervals, and sprints to change things up a bit. And I learned so much too from reading! Like I need to start including some…
Don’t they sound like fun?!
Followed by my dinner, which was a huge plate of Spaghetti (vegan!) Bolognese, and many many cookies. Almost the same amount as what I ate of the dough pre-baking. And that says a lot…!
That may or may not have been my Excuse #1001 to eat more chocolate than normal…
Oh, and get ready to be proud of me, because I actually WASHED MY HAIR this morning!! I know- unbelievable! It was a moment of triumph for me!
So what are some of your beliefs? Serious or otherwise, I’d love to hear them!!
What are your favourite cold remedies? Chocolate and sleep
Favourite chocolate? I know I’ve asked this before, but mine changes so often!! I’m loving this Fairtrade Divine Dark Chocolate with Raspberries, and Lindt Sea Salt is the most addictive substance known to mankind. If there was a chocolate rehab, I would have been admitted long ago!
Can’t wait for tomorrow, because IT’S FRIDAY!! Have a great Friday you amazing people!
|March 3, 2011||Posted by Sweet Tooth Runner under Thirty Day Thursday, Uncategorized|
Hey friends!! It’s FRIDAY TOMORROW and I can’t WAIT! Friday’s are the BEST!
Thanks for your lovely (half!) birthday wishes on my post yesterday!! You are the BEST! And guess what happened today?! My AMAZING best friends surprised me with a half-birthday celebration!! They had baked a chocolate birthday cake, peanut butter cookies, dark chocolate and chocolate chip muffins! Seriously, how well do they know me?! I didn’t have my camera with me at the time, but I got to take the leftovers home so took photos then, and trust me they won’t be around for long!
They baked it all themselves and it was their first time baking vegan goods and they tasted SO delicious!! I had so many cookies and muffins, chocolate and two slices of cake. Hey, it’s my birthday!
All that sugar actually fuelled me SO well for a speedwork run! Based on Page’s Shreadmill run post today:
1 min at Distance/Long Run Pace (7.50 min/mile)
1 min at Goal Pace- 30 secs faster (7. 20 min/mile)
2 mins at 5k pace- (6.40 min/mile)
1 min at fast/hard pace- (6.10 min/mile)
+5 min warm-up @ 7.55 min/mile and 5 min cooldown @ 7.40 min/mile.
I did a Page and got my last interval down to in the 5 min/mile zone!
This was so FUN and it was great to change things up! Repeated the intervals five times and felt GREAT the whole time. Also did 30 mins on the elliptical afterwards. I am going to be fuelling all my future runs with cookies and cake methinks!
Day 29- Goals for this month
So I’ve seen a lot of other bloggers post their March goals, and I have a few of my own!
1. Train well. NOT overtrain of course, but stay focused, stick to my plan (which I’ll be talking about on Saturday) and this way I’ll be able to do well in my 5k race. This includes doing a lot of cross-training and at least one rest day- both my body and my mind need to chillax sometimes!
3. Do a yoga session at least once a week. I do a few yoga stretches every day before bed, but since my yoga class got cancelled in January, I haven’t done a full session! I want to do at least a 40 min session once a week- I miss it!!
4. Rehydrate properly. I am seriously lacking in the rehydrating area. I drink a LOT of water but never replenish my salts, so I get a lot of muscle cramps and headaches as a result. I’m going to try to work on this this month and hopefully see results.
5. Join a gym. I quit my gym a few months ago because I felt it was getting too expensive for me, and have been using it on a pay-as-you-go basis since then. But I calculated yesterday that I am paying almost DOUBLE what a membership would cost me! So I think it’s time to sort that out!
6. Perfect my cinnamon-raisin peanut butter recipe. So many of you requested the recipe after I made it on Tuesday, but sadly it was only okay…not raisiny enough and too dry. So I WILL perfect it so we can all bathe in the nutty-cinnamony-raisiny goodness.
7. Help others more. I want to start doing something that will benefit others, because sometimes I feel so self-centred, and I would really love to do something that will make a difference to other people!! I’m thinking of helping out with the youth group at my church or at a care home or something like that.
8. Wash my hair more often. No elaboration needed.
Do you have any goals for this month? I could list hundreds to be honest, but I don’t think I’d be able to acheive them all!
Are you a gym member? What is most important to you when looking at gyms? Price, classes, location, facilities, etc…for me, price is a big deal, but location and classes are also pretty important.
What is your exercise/run fuel of choice? Mine is Clif bars or PB+banana on toast normally, but now it’s cookies and cake!!
ENJOY your Friday lovelies!!
|February 24, 2011||Posted by Sweet Tooth Runner under Thirty Day Thursday, Uncategorized|
Hey friends!! Hope you’re having an amazing day!! Today, it’s a Thirty Day Thursday!!
Day 30- Highs and Lows of this month
Seeing as this is the last Thursday of the month, I thought it’d be a good time to tackle this one!
Low: That first day my ankle issues also resurfaced. Damn ankle.
Low: Having ‘Aunt Flo’ visit, but not ACTUALLY visit. An oh-so-subtle period reference there! So spending that day feeling bleugh.
High: Getting a FOOD PROCESSOR! Highlight of the year so far probably!!
High: Making homemade Dark Chocolate Dreams!!
Low: Having a bad run.
High: Powering through that bad run thanks to all my inspirations (which includes YOU guys!!) and turning it into a GREAT one.
Are you seeing the chocolate theme there too?
High: Discovering balls and babies.
...to name just a few! I love balls.
…but the most fun ‘race’ of my life:
High: Having an AMAZING day in London, hitting Whole Foods, a hummus bar, and having the most delicious vegan dessert I have ever had.
Chocolate Raspberry Torte, you WILL be replicated in my kitchen. And SOON.
High: Going to the BEST talk EVER on Sports Nutrition by a specialist who has WORKED WITH MY HEROINE, PAULA RADCLIFFE!
(By the way, Monday’s Reader Request post will be some of the things I learned from the talk, as a LOT of you asked about it, and I can’t wait to share!!)
High: Tomorrow!! Early morning spin class, then I am going BACK to my beloved Whole Foods Kensington (3rd time this week!!) but this time I am going with my momma!! It’s only right that she gets to see my second home (and by that, I mean pay for all my goodies…! ) and I’ll also be taking her to the giant bookstore and maybe to the movies too to see Black Swan…we’ll see! Looking forward to it though!
Going to share some great recipes with you tomorrow too, which I WOULD have done today, but this post is kinda long enough as it is! So keep a lookout for my Friday Favourites tomorrow!!
What are YOUR highs and lows of this month so far? I’d love to hear what’s made YOU happy so I can celebrate with you, and what’s made you sad so that I can send you virtual hugs.
Have you got any good plans for tomorrow or for this weekend? I think my weekend will be more chilled, but I’m so excited about my busy day tomorrow!!
Have a great Friday tomorrow lovelies!!
P.S. Go check out my guest post on Jemma‘s blog! My Top Ten Training Tips