On The Go and Morning Workouts
|September 23, 2011||Posted by Sweet Tooth Runner under Reader Request, Topic Posts|
Happy FRIDAY friends (or happy weekend, if you’re reading this then!!)
First up, since I know you’re all DYING to know, the answer to my Three Lies and a Truth yesterday! And I don’t think ANYONE got the right answer!!
The answer was number THREE!! I still have and wear this Disney nightgown sported by my seven-year-old self:
Ok, so it’s no longer a ‘nightdress’ but more of a shirt really, but it still fits and I still wear it sometimes! I’ll take a photo for you at some point to prove it
But to be fair, they were all based on truth (except the cake one cos I’ve always loved cake! ), because when I was little I DID used to talk in my sleep, and to be fair I have gone a week without washing my hair recently…dry shampoo is a total lifesaver by the way!! ESPECIALLY when you’re strapped for time, like I’ve been recently!
I’ve been having most of my meals on the go, or just a quick fix:
Snack: microwave protein oats with (homemade!) cinnamon raisin PB. Eaten in 2 mins, and then out the door again!
Lunches on the go, courtesy of Subway:
Veggie delite (no cheese, with EVERYTHING and honey mustard sauce) in a wrap. I didn’t know they did wraps, so I tried it out and liked it a lot!
TONS of bars!
I LOVE the Clif bar flavours from the US! They are SO much better than the ones we get here!! This was one of my faves, along with Blueberry Crisp
But of course, there’s always time for dessert
Mama Pea’s Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Balls! These are amazing. MAKE THEM NOW!!
Today, I started my Friday in the PERFECT way- with an early morning spin class!
Early morning=still asleep!
This spin instructor is SO TOUGH!! His classes are the hardest by a long way! He is ex-military and an ultra-marathoner, so he pushes us the whole time! We also did core and upper body work in some of the tracks which was fun! I had such a SPINNING HIGH afterwards!
A LOT of you have asked me, since I started early morning workouts again after a summer off, how I manage it! So here are my tips on…
How To: Early Morning Workouts
1. Work out your timings, and stick to it. There’s no point heading to the gym early, only to end up being late for work/classes/etc, or missing breakfast or something! Make sure you know your timing EXACTLY! For example, I know I have to leave the gym by 8am at the very latest, so I make sure I know what time I need to hit the showers and stuff!
2. Commit if you can! If I know I’m going to have trouble getting up, I book my class ahead (I get fined then if I don’t show!), or if I’m going to the gym, I might arrange to meet someone there so I know I have to go. Having some form of commitment means that I CAN’T skip the workout even if I try to talk myself out of it in the morning!
3. Do whatever it takes to get yourself up. I know some people have no problem getting up at the crack of dawn, but I’m not one of them! My trick is that I sleep in my workout clothes, which means that I wake up and feel like I have no excuse for not going! I know people who set their alarm and put it across the other side of the room so they HAVE to get up anyway to turn it off! Whatever works for you!
4. Get enough sleep. Ok, guilty as charged here of getting too little sleep at the moment, and trust me it does make it SO MUCH HARDER to get up for early workouts! Make it easier on yourself by getting enough shuteye, and I promise I’ll try harder to do the same!
5. Get organised! You don’t want to be stumbling around at 5.30am looking for your gym shorts, so pack your bag the night before and get everything ready. I also pack breakfast, which is usually overnight oats. My fave is Katie’s recipe (photo below belongs to CCK!)
I actually love this oatmeal unsweetened and just with nut butter, which is weird for me, since y’all know I have a crazy sweet tooth!!
6. Know how much better you will feel afterwards! I LOVE morning workouts, because they genuinely make my whole day better! Getting that endorphin hit first thing is awesome! And knowing that I don’t have to squeeze in a workout somewhere later in the day is pretty great too! I tell myself when I wake up that I am “just one workout away from an awesome day”, and it works
7. ENJOY!! If you just plain don’t enjoy morning workouts (they aren’t for everyone), then don’t force it! Work out at whatever time suits YOU! Also try to do workouts that you enjoy. Dragging yourself out of bed to do something you don’t like isn’t easy, but if you are looking forward to it, it’ll be that much better!
I tope these tips help! They get my butt out of bed to sweat it out, so I hope it will help you too!
And finally, for your amusement…
…guess who persuaded her friends to get matching monkey onesies? And guess who went shopping today in them? Yup, we went there
What is your fave on-the-go snack? I have to go with bars here! Expensive, but they are SO yummy and so quick to grab and go!
Are you a morning, afternoon or evening workout person? Honestly, I don’t mind any of these! My running team train in the evenings, so I’ve gotten used to that too, but mornings are my favourite!
What gets you out of bed in the morning? The one thing that gets me out of bed promptly every single morning is because I need to pee so bad. I drink WAY too much water!
Have an AMAZING weekend friends!! <3
P.S. My second Running Chat post is coming at ya tomorrow! I am leaving the topic up to YOU, so you can vote on my Facebook poll as to which topic: Running and Weight, Common Running Myths, or How to Start Running. Click here to vote!