It’s all about the exercise variety!
|January 3, 2011||Posted by Sweet Tooth Runner under Exercise class reviews|
Today was all about the exercise variety! This is really important to me when it comes to exercise motivation. Yes, I have a routine that I like, but now and again it’s good to keep things fresh, y’know? Gabriela wrote a great post about this today- check it out!
So, I tried out a new group exercise class today! Livin’ up to my 2011 goals so far! Any guesses as to what class?
So what is BodyCombat? Taken from their website:
“BODYCOMBAT™ is the empowering cardio workout where you are totally unleashed. This fiercely energetic program is inspired by martial arts and draws from a wide array of disciplines such as karate, boxing, taekwondo, tai chi and muay thai. Supported by driving music and powerful role model instructors, you strike, punch, kick and kata your way through calories to superior cardio fitness.” source
A typical class (45 minutes) includes a short warm-up, followed by the main cardio section (lots of kicks, punches and jumping around!), and finally the cooldown which is strength training.
- Very high energy! Great cardio- really worked up a sweat!
- Enjoyable! The cardio section especially is a lot of fun, like dance crossed with martial arts!
- As with the other Les Mills class I have taken (BodyPump), the instructors (there were two) are great. Really passionate and enthusiastic.
- Didn’t like the music very much! Okay, personal taste and a minor thing, but this was the new release, and a lot of the tracks was not new stuff and was a bit cheesy really!
- The strength training section was only legs. It would have been great to get in some arms/abs etc.
- Not long enough? Again, personal preference, but BodyPump is an hour, and I think that’s a better time for this class, as it would allow for more cooldown+strength training.
I did really enjoy the class! Not quite as good as BodyPump in my opinion, but a really great cardio option! I was red, sweaty, and highly unattractive looking when I left the class! But like with all things, you get out as much as you put in. There were people there who were half-heartedly doing the moves, and it didn’t look like they were having fun or getting much out of it! Unlike me of course!
Don’t I look kick-ass! Tried (and failed) a few kick shots too!
Why did I post these again?
Did you know that Ultra Bran cereal has 15g of fibre per 45g serving!! And I usually have way more than that! That’s a lot of fibre!
After BodyCombat, I finished up the hour’s workout with 15mins on the elliptical doing speed intervals, then headed off to Starbucks to meet a friend for lunch. And did you know that Starbucks have a vegan offering now!
You won’t believe this, but I was told by one of the baristas to put my camera away! Cheek! I didn’t argue though, but silently cursed him…
Instead of the usual flow I do that I learned from my class, I did a strength flow from yogadownload.com. After all, today has been all about the exercise variety!
…and so far, it is my all-time favourite recipe book! Yes, it may well have overtaken the Vegan Cupcakes recipe book and Veganomicon! But I obviously have to test out some of the recipes to see if it lives up to its title!
I’m also going to BodyPump tomorrow morning, as well as another new exercise class for me- spinning! Can’t wait!
What are your favourite exercise classes? Have you ever been to any of the ones I’ve mentioned? My favourite has to be BodyPump so far! And what is your all-time favourite recipe book?