|November 1, 2010||Posted by Sweet Tooth Runner under Uncategorized|
For breakfast today, I was in the mood for a smoothie. One of my lovely breakfast smoothies. Yummy, and so filling Today’s featured a pear (you could use other fruits if you like- banana, mango, etc), from the beloved farm shop! I chopped off the stem, then sliced it up into smaller pieces and put in a blender. Then added 1/2 cup soya milk, 1/4 cup soya yoghurt and approx 1/3 cup of oats and blended away!
Yes, it looks pretty unappetising there, but I think smoothies always do when being made! After a quick blend, I served it.
It made this large glass and about another half a glass, and really filled me up! The pear made this super sweet and delicious- yay for farm shops!
Lunch was a large salad:
Lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, sweetcorn, grated carrot, couscous, mixed rice with chickpeas etc, beets and a ton of kidney beans.
The kidney beans were definitely the best bit- I love kidney beans!
I had a 4 miler planned today, and was all ready for my afternoon run (excuse the seriously blurry photo- was in a hurry!)
Unfortunately, life got in the way. Was literally on my way out when I got a phone call from my aunt to tell me my uncle had had a heart attack! And whilst running too! He’s fine, thankfully, but I had to get hold of my mum and tell her, and then call up the rest of the family and tell them, etc etc. So no run for me today! Family comes first! But never fear, I will be doing it tomorrow instead! And, to make up for my disappointment, I baked! What else to do when there is a family crisis! The phone ringing kept interrupting me at crucial moments, but I persevered! I have never truly appreciated the wonders of speakerphone until today…
Apple and cinnamon bread flour!! Sounds delicious, no? Well I can tell you that this smelled divine, even though it wasn’t even open! If I could’ve eaten that smell…mmm… Only problem was getting the packet open:
They sewed it shut?! A cute touch but not easy to get into! Once opened though, the smell made me actually want to eat this flour. Seriously.So I made it up in my bread machine, and hopefully there will soon be an amazing loaf of apple and cinnamon bread that tastes just as good (or better!) than it smells!
I ate a lot of that. Not my fault- it was for testing purposes obviously! And since it was vegan…no egg! And this one was super delicious cos it had Libby’s pumpkin in it! Sadly, it didn’t taste half as good when baked, so my quest continues…
Next up I hear you ask? Well you may remember my lovely bananas I was hoarding specially for baking purposes. This was them today:
I was going to make some wholemeal banana bread, but couldn’t find my loaf tin in my very disorganised kitchen! So I settled for banana muffins
Simple banana muffins (adapted from a recipe book)
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup milk (I used soya)
- 1 flax egg (1T ground flax+3T warm water whisked and left for a few mins) or a normal large egg if you prefer
- 1/4 cup melted butter/marg/vegan spread or unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup plain (all-purpose) flour and 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (I used 1/4 cup brown sugar + 1/4 cup natural sweetener)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- Heat oven to 180C. Grease/line 10-12 muffin cups, depending on how big you want your muffins. I greased 10, which made 10 fairly large muffins
- Whisk all your wet ingredients (mashed bananas, milk, egg, butter/applesauce) until blended.
- Carefully fold in the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt) until just combined- crucial never to over-mix muffin batter!
- Divide batter evenly into the muffin cups, and bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on your oven. They should be a golden brown colour on top. Then remove muffins from pan, cool on a wire rack, and enjoy!
Or do as I did and dive right into them, nice and warm, and ruin your appetite for dinner!
Okay, so what you’ve all been waiting for…a bread update! I drafted this post hours ago, but waited to publish it until the bread was done! A much bigger loaf than I was expecting, but I’m not complaining!
I will dive in tomorrow for breakfast methinks…can’t wait!
Have a great evening!